Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Black Hole

I looked up the definition of a black hole this morning and this is what I found.

Black hole, in astronomy, celestial object of such extremely intense gravity that it attracts everything near it and in some instances prevents everything, including light, from escaping.

I have decided that the toilet is a black hole to Brandon. When the lid is left opened, the gravitational pull is so strong that it beckons him from wherever he is in the house. It pulls him and whatever objects he can find and he is forced to throw everything in the "hole".

I am constantly running around the house trying to keep bathroom doors closed and toilet seats down. But, even the best of us get distracted at times.

This morning, for instance, I was watching the beautiful video on Angie's blog of her beloved daughter, Audrey Caroline. Tears are just streaming down my face and I am oblivious to the 5 children around me. That is until Brandon comes crawling into the room and he is all wet. Oh no, what did you do? I ran into the bathroom and found that the black hole had pulled everything from the end table in the living room into it. Luckily, a certain flusher and not been touched yet and everything was able to be retrieved. The joys of motherhood!

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

The solution:

1. Get toilet locks

2. A friend of mine was tired of her child doing the same thing, and he broke off the "childproof" toilet locks. She stripped off his pants, stuck his legs in the toilet, and flushed it (holding him of course). It scared him so bad, he never put anything in the toilet again. No, it didn't scar him for life, and later on, he toilet trained just fine.

Natalie said...

I think that is hilarious. I am with you on trying to keep the doors closed. Its mommy that forgets to close it sometime. Oh well!

Jennifer said...

Hmm, interesting... I did a paper on black holes one time in college. It never said anything about toddlers and toilets? :) Could you give him some time at the sink and some water toys? I realize it's probably the swirl that's intruiging, but maybe some water play distraction?