Friday, July 18, 2008

Song For a 5th Child

I have been dreaming of all that I would accomplish this week with the 4 oldest kids at Nana and Papa's. The list, of course, was way to long but I figured if Brandon cooperated I could get most of it knocked out. The week went by and while I have accomplished some things. I was getting pretty discouraged because I wasn't scratching off enough stuff off my list. Brandon had been getting fussy and transitioning from 3 naps to 2. So, I found myself going for stroller walks, holding him and swinging him more than I had planned too. He was supposed to be playing on the floor happily beside me while I worked. Didn't he get that memo?

So, last night I decided that I needed to get a lot done today. It was my last day after all and the house did not look ready yet. I was sure I could get Brandon to be happy while I did stuff today. Well, that hope was dashed when Brandon woke up crying at 11 pm last night with a fever. So, today instead of working - I have been holding, nursing and loving my sick 8 month old baby.

I was sitting here rocking Brandon with him on my chest looking up at my face. I realized that I was doing exactly what I needed to be doing. It didn't matter that the house wouldn't be "finished" tomorrow when the kids got back. What mattered is that I was sitting her holding my baby and singing to him. What a blessing it is that the other children were gone at this moment so I can love on just him instead of being pulled in so many different directions.

I tried to think of that poem about rocking babies while the house laid in ruin so I came on-line to find it. To my surprise it is actually called "Song For a Fifth Child". How appropriate since Brandon is number 5. It is a constant battle in the life of a mom with many children. Trying to find the balance between housework, children, husband, and a moment or two for yourself. Everyday, I am disappointed in myself. Either I spent too much time on myself, or the kids, or the house or the hubby. I can never seem satisified with how I spent my hours of that day. Today I chose to just love a little baby who only wanted his momma and I don't feel bad about it at all. The battle within myself will go on again tomorrow but for today - I'm rocking my baby and loving every minute of it.

Song for a Fifth Child

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
hang out the washing and butter the bread,
sew on a button and make up a bed.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
and out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
but I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

The last four lines of that song, are on a cross stitch sampler my mother-in-law made for Joshua, and I've hung it over the rocking chair ever since, for each of the kids. I love it too.
Hope Brandon feels better soon-- is he cutting teeth maybe? Give him a little squeeze for me.

Katie said...

Love it, Tammy. Beautiful song, and so glad you got some Brandon time. Hope he's feeling better.

Jennifer said...

Now I'm all choked up...thanks for the good cry.