Monday, June 16, 2008

Picture Day

As another mother would know, getting professional pictures done of your children can be a very stressful task. You have dreams and have visions of how great the pictures are going to be and then reality sets in. Your child is scared of the photographer, they are going through the "fake" smile phase, they can't sit still, they wont smile, they finally smile but are looking the wrong way. The list could go on forever. That is why I think my sister, Natalie, and I must have been smoking something when we decided to get both of our families together to take a picture for our parents. That is seven children! And not just any 7 children - you've got 2 babies and 2 toddlers in the mix. So, what could possibly go wrong!!

Fast forward to the morning of the pictures. We decided to do it on a Friday during the week in the hopes of missing the weekend crowd. Sounded great in theory until I realized that I would be getting all 5 of my children ready by myself. Andy's job was just to meet us there. No problem, I say to myself. Brandon will nap while I get the other 4 ready and then I'll just have him to get ready. I think you all know what happens next - Brandon only takes a 30 minute nap!! I had only one child's hair done when I hear the stirring on the baby monitor. I immediatly freeze and pray to the Lord above and any saints and angels who might be free. Please, oh please Lord have him go back to sleep. Apparently, our Heavenly Father thought this might be a good time to have a laugh on me because Brandon was wide AWAKE! That's okay, he can just play on the floor while I get the rest of the girls hair done and myself. But no, he was a cranky boy so mommy must hold him while doing everyone's hair.

So, I eventually get everyone done including me. I yell at everyone it is time to go - only to realize that Garrett has been sucking his thumb. Now, if you know Garrett you know that he doesn't close his mouth when he sucks his thumb so now his shirt is all wet. So, I am trying to dry that off when he decides to stick his hands in my make-up that is sitting there and then wipes his fingers on his shirt. Are you kidding me?!?!?!? So, now I must clean his shirt from my foundation. Okay, now let's get in the car to go. I have now done my calculation in my mind and realize that Brandon will probably start getting tired about half way through the pictures. But what can I do now, I talk to Natalie and I tell her this is not going to go well but we are on our way.

Well, to my surprise, Brandon was probably the best one there. The true trouble maker would, of course, be that 2 year old named Garrettman!! He just couldn't keep his hands down and was looking up, down and all around. This, of course, made Mackenzie want to look up, down and all around. In the end, the poor photographer took over 150 pictures but we did have a few that turned out okay. I'm sure he wanted a drink by the time we left. Well, here it is the prized family photo. Do you think it was worth it???

3 comments:

Amy said...

Yes, Yes, Yes! Those are beautiful and I was laughing out loud as you described getting ready! What an ambitious idea, but your parents will love it!

Jennifer said...

Fantastic pictures! Y'all are just so cute!

Ginkgo100 said...

What a cute smile on Brandon in the 2nd one! He really does look like Andy.