Sunday, August 24, 2008

Keep the Old

There was a song that I learned in Girls Scouts. The verse went, " Make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other's gold". I have always tried to live by that statement. I do the best that I can to keep in touch with all of the friends who have touched my life at some point. Some days, I feel like I do a good job of keeping in touch, other days I'm disappointed when I realize that I have no idea what is going on in some one's life who was once instrumental in mine.

In some ways, it is much easier to keep in touch these days. We have email, blogs, my space, etc. But to actually get together in person is not always as easy. Case in point - I just saw my closest friends from high school today. Sadly, it had been almost 2 years since we had gotten together. It's not that we live that far apart. We live an hour away from each other. It's just that we are all so busy with the life we have chosen to live that it is hard to sometimes make time for the "old". I am so thankful that today was the day that we pushed away all of the things that must get done and we made time just to be. Time to catch-up, laugh about the past, get to know each other's kids. It was just fun and much too short. I pray that we do it again soon.

So, whether you are a gold or a silver in my life, please know that I appreciate you and I want to make time for just you!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Now I am going to have that song stuck in my head all day. Glad you Gretchen, Vivian, and Doug had fun. I think that was the crew.