Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We Interrupt Our Parenting to Bring You the Olympics

Even as a child, I was glued to the Olympics. I never formally took Gymnastics or Ice skating. Yet, when the Olympics were on when I was young, I would tumble throughout the house and do jumps just as the ice skaters did. In my heart, I could be an Olympian. It didn't matter, that I wasn't formally trained in any of these sports. I just felt like I could do it and I remember daydreaming about listening to the National Anthem while I received my gold medal.

Fast forward to today. Okay, I still daydream about collecting my gold medal but I'm a bit more realistic in my thoughts and realize that it will never happen. But it does make for a great daydream! I just love the Olympics! I almost love everything about them. I can watch them from sunup to sundown. I never grow tired of hearing the individual stories of each Olympian and tears regularly fall down my face as I watch someone either realize their dream or have their dream just slip from their grasp. I have been humming "One Moment in Time" since the Olympics began. To me, it has always been a song about the Olympic dream.

The only problem with this whole Olympics is that I have 5 children who actually think I should take care of them during these two weeks. I mean what can they possibly be thinking!! They are enjoying them too but they just don't see the need to watch them every second that they are on. Allison actually asked if we could watch the Disney channel for awhile. The Disney Channel?!?! Are you serious - you can watch that everyday. This only happens once every four years. They are pretty into the gymnastics and swimming. Brittany told me yesterday that she thought she could make the Olympics in gymnastics. (She doesn't take lessons either - I wonder where she gets these ideas from!) I am enjoying my nursing sessions with Brandon this week because then I can feel like I am being a parent while watching the Olympics!! Poor Garrett, he must have asked for a cup of milk 100 times the other day while I was waiting for Phelps to swim. And let's not forgot about the sleep deprivation these Olympics are causing. I'm trying to explain to Brandon that he cannot get up in the middle of the night for the next two weeks because Mommy is staying up late to watch the Olympics. He apparently doesn't get the concept yet!

Seriously though, the Olympics are just an amazing thing to watch. These athletes have given their lives to their sports to be the best and this is their moment to shine. I love watching events that I never get to see on a regular basis. Sports that I didn't even know existed and have never heard of except for once every four years. I look forward to the next 1 1/2 weeks and then the Olympics will once again be but a memory and hopefully my parenting skills will return.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOL!! You mean you aren't tumbling around your house now. Clearly not enought Olympic spirit :)
Eric told me he wants to be one of the synchronized divers when he grows up along with an astronaut and a cowboy.

Kimberly said...

Your girls and your obsession with the Olympics. I don't get it... but I did watch a littl bit last night.

Susan said...

Did you know that is me in beach volleyball..