Monday, August 25, 2008

School Days

Today is the 1st day of school. It is Caitlyn's 1st day of REAL school. How do those little babies that come home from the hospital all manage to grow up? I actually have not cried a tear about it until I sat down to write this post. I mean there was never a child more ready for kindergarten than Caitlyn. She had to watch most of her friends go last year and she waited patiently for her turn. She is a very social person, LOVES to be with people, already knows her letters, numbers, even a sight word or two. The child truly needed to go to school. But as I sit here reflecting, it still brings tears to my eyes. I mean after all, she is my baby girl. There wont be anymore of just our time together while the boys nap. There are all these teachers who are going to play an important part of what she learns. It's not just me anymore. It is going to the school and me - it is so hard letting someone/something play such an important part of your child's life.

Okay, sad moment over!! I just can't wait to see all of the wonderful things she is going to learn this year. I can't wait until she can read to me and read to Garrett and Brandon. Her world is just beginning.

Allison started 3rd grade this year and is so excited because she has all of her "best friends" in her class. THANK YOU, GOD! I know it will be a great year for her. Brittany is in 5th now and can't wait to "rule the school". It is so funny how somethings don't change. I remember feeling the same thing in 5th grade.

Here are all 3 of my grade schoolers this morning.

Here is Caitlyn at her desk. She's got that look like I have been waiting for this my whole life.Here is my big Brittany in the 5th grade. She is getting so old. This will be the last picture of her at her desk on the 1st day of school that I will get to take. Next, year will be middle school.Here's Ally Claire all ready for 3rd grade.

Of course, you know what they say, "while the cat's away, the mice will play". Garrett and Brandon had a busy day today. It was Garrett's 1st day of swim lessons. The timing could have been a little better. We were late because I couldn't get out of the school parking lot. So, we didn't get to have our little transitioning period when we got to the swimming lessons so Garrett started crying.

Luckily, his teacher was quite good and he was happy before too long and doing his own version of "swimming".If swim lessons, were not enough to do on the 1st day with just the boys. (Can you believe I just have boys at home? ) We had our Mother's of Young Children Annual back to school luncheon. It is great to have the 1st day go by a little quicker since you are hanging out with friends. Here is Garrett, Claire and Rose enjoying the pushing talents of Jeremy. They don't look like there are missing their siblings, do they?


And just so that you know she made it home okay - here is Caitlyn coming home on the school bus. Mommy was quite happy to see she had made it back.


Of course, it was once everyone got home from school that life got a little hairy. It is the reason why I actual enjoy my children being out of school. Let's see it went something like this. Bus was late, Brandon woke up while I was waiting for the bus. I grabbed him and told him he would have to wait to nurse because I needed to take a picture of Caitlyn getting of the bus. Priorities I told him!! Brittany and Caitlyn were doing the "I don't have homework but you do, Mommy dance". Allison started to cry and said "but I DO have homework". That begain the discussion on why it is okay to have homework on the 1st day of school even if no one else does. Meanwhile, Brandon is crying and Garrett is running around like deranged almost 3 year old. I'm trying to fill out school paperwork, hold a crying baby, calm a crazy toddler, listen to a story about kindergarten while getting dinner on the table. AHHH, it has begun!!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Ok, did Brittany just age about 5 years! I just saw a picture of her and no difference, but today different story. It even looked like she had make-up on. Wow, its amazing. They all looked cute. I dread the day I have to do this. :)

Stacey Kannenberg said...

Happy Kindergarten! Honestly, it's still hard sending mine off to 4th and 2nd grade!

Kimberly said...

Yep, it was CRAZY at our house when the kids got home too. But I signed a million forms, covered 2 textbooks, and made dinner. WHEW.

Jennifer said...

I hear ya sista! Those forms...not a nice thing to say about them :) Absolutely love the pic of the girls!! You will need to make an 8x10 of that one and hang it up in your house.